Ukulele & Languages

Different countries,
Different cultures
one common language... the ukulele.

What’s happening with Ukulele and Languages?

09 2012

Some of you may be wondering why I am posting much less than I did before and may even conclude that I have fallen out of love with the ukulele. That’s certainly not the case. I play the uke as much as ever, if not more. I keep on learning and trying to improve. So what’s going on then ?

Last November I have started working on a project that means incredibly much to me, on many counts. The kind of project that swallows you up and which requires that you put all your energy and efforts in. A project that asks of you to face your own daemons. A type of project that cannot be finished overnight. All this means no more time for hunting for ukulele videos from around the world…

So at this time I’d like to thank my fellow ukulele bloggers for carrying on writing posts and keeping me up to date with the ukulele world. Special thanks to Al from Uke Hunt, to Lou, to Jeff from Humble Uker Ramblings. Many thanks to those of you still contacting me despite my silence, with a special mention to Valérie from Les Poupées Gonflées.

Music is a great help to keep going when things seem to go slower, when you feel drained and worthless. The ukulele and its cheerful sound is a reassuring presence. I have also taken up the guitar, not to replace the ukulele, but to add another means of expression, with a different feel. I converted my best friend Ganymede Gwilym to the ukulele back in 2010 _ he now plays way better than me _ and he in turn is now teaching me how to play the guitar.

Here is our guitars-only cover of the day,  The Pirate’s Gospel by Alela Diane.

For our last ukulele and guitar video, check this post.

And for our ukuleles-only original video, this one.

Related Posts

11 Comments »

1. Flamby1er on the 10th of September 2012 @ 19:13

Great video, great song and great hats :-)

2. Armelle Europe on the 10th of September 2012 @ 19:30

@Flamby1er: Thanks! We missed your kitchen percussions though ;-)

3. Jeff / Humble Uker on the 10th of September 2012 @ 21:38

Thanks Armelle having a wonderful site that will remain that cherishes multiculturalism and the ukulele. Best wishes on your project and for battling your daemons. I appreciate your mentioning my humble Humble Uker blog. Jeff

4. Armelle Europe on the 11th of September 2012 @ 08:39

@Jeff/Humble Uker: thanks very much for your kind words Jeff. I follow your Humble Uker and Humble Baritonics blog regularly so I am never out of touch with the ukulele world. I am glad that you keep visiting my blog despite my posting less often.
    All the best to you.

5. Lou on the 15th of September 2012 @ 13:33

Thanks for the mention, Armelle! Perhaps when you’ve finished your current project, you and I should write a book on facing your daemons ;) Btw, love the video – I’m impressed with your guitar skills (thought I shouldn’t be surprised, given how good you got on the uke so quickly). You sound in find voice and you look damn hot too :)

6. Lou on the 15th of September 2012 @ 13:34

Erm, that should say FINE voice!

7. Armelle Europe on the 16th of September 2012 @ 17:19

Lou: a book about facing daemons, great idea! Thanks a lot for the lovely comment :)

8. Acilius on the 17th of September 2012 @ 19:00

Thanks for the update, Armelle! Good luck in your project.

9. Armelle Europe on the 17th of September 2012 @ 19:11

Acilius : Thanks very much, Acilius. All the good wishes from my blog friends mean a lot to me.

10. rob on the 13th of December 2012 @ 07:30

Curious as to how your project is going, Armelle. Keep us in the loop!

-Rob (sanfordandsong)

11. Armelle Europe on the 13th of December 2012 @ 09:11

Rob : thanks very much for inquiring about my project, Rob, I am glad to hear from you!
    I am very happy with the way things are going, the project is now entering its second phase.
    Any new video in prospect ? You haven’t posted in a while.